Updates & Revisions
Here you will find important updates and revisions to the articles and plans published in Woodsmith magazine.
- Heirloom Workbench
- Page 36: Main illustration
- The height of part O (Tail Vise Top Block) should be 1 3/4", not 3 3/4" as originally printed. (The dimensions are correct on the materials list and cutting diagram on page 41.)
- Page 31: Text, last paragraph
- The last paragraph on page 31 contains a sentence that begins "Then I drilled holes...". That sentence and the following are not quite accurate. They should read this way: "Then I drilled holes in the vise leg for the vise screws. On the front side, the vise screw hole needs to be counterbored for the knurled knob."
- Page 30: Middle drawing, Drilling Bolt Holes
- The drawing shows drilling a hole through the wrong mortise. The workpiece needs to be rotated 90° and drilled through the smaller mortise. Detail drawing "c" on the same page shows the right orientation.
- Page 32: Main illustration
- The main illustration shows 3/8"-dia. x 3"-long walnut dowels. The note in the illustration says "Drill 3/8"-dia. x 2-1/2"-deep hole for dowel pins after assembly." Since the dowel pins sit 1/16" proud of the surface, the note should instead read "Drill 3/8"-dia. x 2-15/16"-deep hole for dowel pins after assembly."
- Page 34: Detail 'b'
- The length of the upper notched section should be measured to the bottom of the radius, not the top.
- Page 37: Figure 6
- Figure 6 shows that the Guide Rail End (S) should be attached 2" from the near end of the Tail Vise Front Block (P). That is incorrect. The actual distance should be 1 3/4".
- Shop Notebook
- Page 27: Main illustration
- The 1 1/32 dimension needs to be 1 1/16; the 25/32 number should change to 13/16.
- Page 27: Detail 'a'
- The 13/16 dimension should be 1.