Updates & Revisions
Here you will find important updates and revisions to the articles and plans published in Woodsmith magazine.
- Custom-Mixed Stains
- Page 45: Color Mix Ratios Chart
- The measurement for the stain that appears third from the bottom should be in the brown column, not the yellow column.
- Lighted Display Cabinet
- Page 25: Case and Base Assembly
- Clarifications (1) Neither the art nor the copy mention the offset of the legs and rails when the pieces are assembled. That offset is 1/4". (2) The location of the case on the base assembly needs further explanation. The case of the project is centered on the Base Top (G) and screwed in place. This places the case in the same plane as the outer faces of the legs.
- Page 26: Illustration
- The glass door panels should be 18-7/16" long; not 18-7/8" as shown in the drawing at the top of the page. The dimension of the glass door panels in the materials list is accurate. Corrections to the glass panel size are based on the assumption that the rabbet for the panels is 3/8" wide. This measurement is not found on the drawing or detail that shows this but based on the size of the glass stop, 3/8" is appropriate.
- Magazine Rack
- Page 17: Exploded view illustration
- The roundover on the side stops should be 1/8". It's described correctly on page 20.
- Page 20: Detail b, top view
- The measurement from the edge of the bottom rail to the edge of the side stop should be 7/8", not 3/4" as originally printed.
- Page 19: Template for Upper Rail & Handle
- Two measurements on the template require correction: 1. The measurements out from the centerline should be 1 3/4", not 2" as originally printed. 2. The holes to be drilled for the handle should be 7/8" diameter, not 1" as originally printed. The template should still be enlarged to 200%.
- Page 17: Materials, Supplies & Cutting Diagram
- Two corrections: (1) The bottom blank, from which 18 slats for parts F and K are cut should be 4 1/2" wide, not 3 1/2" as originally printed. This would change the parenthetical comment as well. It should read 2.3 sq. ft., not 1.8 bd. ft. (2) Part J (Lower Side Rails) should be 15 1/2" long, not 15" as originally printed. The measurement is shown correctly in the drawings.
- Traditional Swing-Leg Table
- Page 51: Swing Leg Table Finish Source
- The finish used was cherry Jel'd Stain from WoodKote. The sources page reads "Gel'd stain from Wood Cote." It is available from www.woodkote.com, 800-843-7666.
- Page 51: Table Legs
- As of 2013, the Sheraton-style table leg part number 303KD-CH and the Shaker-style leg part number is 202KL-CH. Note, both are now 2 1/4" square; the old parts were 2 1/8" square. This affects another part: Support Blocks (F). See the other correction note for details.
- Page 33: Measurements affected by leg size
- The dimensions of the new table legs differs from those used in the original article (from 2 1/8" to 2 1/4" square), several other measurements may be are affected. Support Block (F) should be 1 1/4" thick. If you follow the procedure as written and use the dimensions list for the leg mortises, the outer side rail sizes will automatically adjust to accommodate the new leg size. The following changes may also be made: On page 33, in the How-To Box, the three 2 1/8" dimensions should be 2 1/4". On page 34, the measurement in the lower part of detail d and in the seventh paragraph of text should be 18 1/4". One page 38, Material, Supplies & Cutting Diagram, change the Legs (A) from 2 1/8" x 2 1/8" to 2 1/4" x 2 1/4". Change Support Blocks (F) thickness from 1 1/8" to 1 1/4".